You probably know that Valentine’s Day is February 14th – but here are some interesting Valentine’s Day trivia facts you may not be aware of!!
- Every year over 1 billion Valentine’s cards are sent – second only to Christmas.
- The people who receive the most Valentine’s cards are teachers. They deserve it!
- Most flowers sold in the U.S. on Valentine’s Day are imported from South America.
- Richard Cadbury sold the first Valentine’s Day box of chocolates in 1868.
- This year over $1 billion will be spent on Valentine’s chocolates.
- It is believed that St. Valentine was put to death on February 14th. His last letter to his love (the jailer’s daughter) was signed, “From Your Valentine.”
- NECCO has been making heart-shaped candies with sweet sayings since 1902!
- Alexander Graham Bell applied for his telephone patent on Valentine’s Day in 1876. Many years later on February 14th penicillin was introduced!
- Men spend approximately twice as much as women for Valentine’s Day!
Okay – now that you are an expert on Valentine’s Day – is your mouth ready? Here are some things you can do to make sure!!
- Avoid foods that can cause bad breath such as garlic, onions, and curry. While these foods are believed to be healthy, they can cause a kissing disaster unless your mate participates too!
- Use lip balm frequently. The cold winter months can make your lips feel like alligator skin!
- Drink water often throughout the day. This washes food particles out of your mouth and prevents dehydration, a leading cause of foul breath.
- If you are a fan of gum or mints, try those which contain Xylitol. Unlike sugar, it’s not harmful to your teeth and actually fights off bad bacteria.
- Mouthwash can be good, but if your mouthwash contains alcohol (as many do) be careful! It can dry out the tissues of your mouth causing damage and a characteristic bad smell.
If you are due for a dental cleaning, want to find out about teeth whitening, or have any dental questions, give us a call at 480-563-5800 after all, you want your Cupid kisses to be as pleasant as possible, and at Princess Center Dentistry, we do too!!