Everyone wants beautiful and bright teeth when they flash their smile, but most people do not have naturally white teeth.
From coffee to blueberries to red wine to smoking, there are a lot of different types of foods, drinks, and additional factors that will lead to teeth staining and discoloration.
This is where teeth whitening comes in!
Professional teeth whitening can be extremely beneficial to the look of your teeth and can improve your confidence with your smile as well.
The most recent research conducted on teeth whitening has shown that it is a safe and effective way to brighten your smile when the specific manufacturer’s protocol is followed properly.
Based on a study, in-office teeth whitening or teeth whitening options provided by your dentist can be quicker than teeth whitening alternatives that you find elsewhere to do at home because the products deliver higher concentrations of peroxide than OTC.
There are many different types of teeth whitening treatments that you can receive at your next dentist appointment, and Zoom is one of the most common options today.
I’m sure you are wondering, how long does Zoom teeth whitening last?
Let’s find out…
How Long Does Zoom Teeth Whitening Last?
Zoom teeth whitening is a bleaching teeth whitening process that is performed by your dentist during a visit to their dental office.
The Zoom teeth whitening process uses the Zoom hydrogen peroxide whitening gel that is applied to your teeth, and the Zoom Advanced Power Chairside Lamp, which activates the 25 percent hydrogen peroxide whitening.
When this process is in action, the hydrogen peroxide breaks down on your teeth and allows oxygen to enter the enamel and dentin. This bleaches your teeth and makes them whiter and brighter after the treatment, while not affecting your teeth.
There have been many studies that have shown that light-activated samples exhibited greater color change than their nonlight-activated counterparts.
But how long does Zoom teeth whitening last?
On average, Zoom teeth whitening usually lasts about 12 to 24 months.
Various factors impact how long the Zoom teeth whitening treatment will last for, such as:
- Good oral hygiene practices like proper brushing and flossing
- Avoiding foods that cause discoloration and staining
The Effects of Specific Drinks and Smoking on the Longevity of Teeth Whitening
There are many factors that impact the longevity of teeth whitening, and they should be avoided as much as possible so they do not cause discoloration and staining on your teeth.
In a study conducted to determine the influence of specific drinks on staining recently whitened teeth, it was proven each of these tea, cola, and red wine have a significant impact on staining your teeth.
Here’s what happened during the study:
- Step 1: The sample surfaces were first bleached with a teeth whitening solution for 6 hours a day for 14 days.
- Step 2: Baseline color measurements were taken at the end of the 14 days
- Step 3: The sample surfaces were then immersed in the four sample solutions, which were coffee, tea, cola, and red wine for 15 minutes, 6 hours, 1 week, and 1-month immersions, and were washed with distilled water for 10 seconds after each immersion
- Step 4: The colors were then analyzed to determine a difference from the baseline color measurements
Results: Coffee was shown to not have a noticeable difference, while tea, cola, and red wine were statistically different from the baseline color measurements
Smoking is a health hazard for a variety of different oral health and overall health reasons.
When it comes to oral health, smoking can cause serious gum disease and oral cancer, and it can also heavily impact the color of your teeth by causing staining and discoloration.
It has been proven in various studies that smokers have a higher prevalence of tooth discoloration than non-smokers.
This is due to the tar and nicotine in cigarettes, and the high levels of tobacco in the cigarettes as well.
The more you smoke the quicker it impacts the coloration of your teeth, but even if you only smoke every so often, your teeth will still become discolored because of how powerful it is.
If you smoke as a lifestyle choice, it is always a good choice to evaluate how it is going to impact your oral health and teeth whitening goals.
Best Teeth Whitening Products
There are many different types of teeth whitening products on the market, but there are two specific ones that we offer here at Princess Center Dentistry.
The first one is an in-office treatment and is called the Zoom Chairside Whitening System. The second is one that you use at home and is called the Opalescence take-home whitening kit.
1. Zoom: The in-office Zoom whitening treatment gives you a beautiful and bright smile in less than an hour. When you come in for the treatment the Zoom whitening gel is applied to your teeth, and then the Zoom Advanced Power Chairside Lamp activates the whitening gel. The whitening gel and the light work together to dissolve stains and remove discoloration from your teeth.
2. Opalescence: The Opalescence take-home whitening kit allows you to get a whiter smile in the comfort of your own home. You will be given a customized whitening tray and a whitening gel, and Dr. Lewandowski provides step-by-step instructions for you to follow when you do the treatment at home. You will have a visibly brighter smile in only two weeks.
Is Teeth Whitening the Right Choice for Me?
Now that we have gone over how long teeth whitening lasts, are you wondering if its the right choice for you?
Do you have questions about what steps are in teeth whitening treatment and getting started?
At Princess Center Dentistry, we know how important it can be to have the best cosmetic dentist in Scottsdale, AZ to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. And like many of our current patients, we are assured that you too will feel positive about your experience and know that Dr. Chris Lewandowski really is the best!
Give us a call today to find out more about how we can help you with your teeth whitening treatment goals!